Thursday, August 5, 2010

Last Flight With The Butterfly


I never knew that was the last time I'd ever see him again. He was beautiful. His beauty spells that of serenity and pure kindness.

I remember the first time I saw him. It was a very rainy night and I felt very cold. It seemed that the happiness was stolen from every corner of the world and all was left is loneliness. No warmth within the smiles of the passersby. Everything is just so sad. Then he came out of the busy crowd. He was not smiling but his happiness radiated.

However happy he was inside and no matter how glad I was to see him, I knew then that something was going to happen.

Each small step I made was like leaps away from him. Silence has engulfed both of us while we're together treading the empty streets we used to dream about. I never knew what to say for it was my last flight with him. He would never come back to me. Never ever.

He stopped... I stopped but I was ahead of him. I was always ahead of him. I was with him but in the future.

He was now. I was tomorrow.
I was the architect. He was the builder.
But he became tired. I became more aggressive. I became faster. And I forgot he was holding my hand until he let go of me.

I looked back but I didn't see him anymore. Not the one I used to know. Not the very person I met in that gloomy afternoon when it all began.

His hands were open, waiting for me to go back and hold it again. But I saw there were hands holding his feet tightly. He couldn't walk with me and I knew if I went back I would be stuck with him to the present and, eventually, to the past.

I uttered the words he dreaded to hear. The words I long kept. "I love you." He couldn't say these same words. He didn't have the strength anymore. He was already consumed by his own weakness.

Then, his face fell. There was darkness within it. The same darkness I saw in death.

Then, the monster in me overwhelmed my soul. It's growling. It's angry. Angry at him. He who conquered everything first... I tamed. With him I felt the most wondrous moments I thought. To him I created the future...

I forgave... I bid goodbye... To him... to love

I was flying, now, without a heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment